[Commotion-dev] quick note on crypto UX

Griffin Boyce griffin at cryptolab.net
Mon Jan 27 08:16:19 UTC 2014

Dan Staples wrote:
> "The term “fingerprint” was severely off-putting for many users.
> Thankfully, there are several ways to avoid this discomfort."
>
> Since we will be starting the process of designing a key management
> interface (e.g. buddy list and fav local apps) for the various Commotion
> clients, this is some good information to keep in mind.
>
> Dan

   We should really look for other terminology that might avoid this
reaction.  There have been some discussions on twitter and various
listservs about this over the past couple of years, with no real
resolution.  This is clearly important when it comes to questions of
usability and user retention and how our software is perceived
generally.  But I feel like we *also* have an opportunity to shape
fingerprint/key verification across the entire space.  :D

best,
Griffin

*I was going to say netzpolitik, but other than being my favorite word
ever, it seems a little out of place