[Commotion-dev] ubiquiti auto-reset

Mathieu Lutfy mathieu at bidon.ca
Thu Jan 30 22:39:02 UTC 2014

Just to clarify: people used that spec to implement their
own PoE resets, they're not the authors of that spec.

I'm also from Réseau libre (bgm from IRC). There's a few of us
squatting this list and experimenting with Commotion to see how
we can adopt it, including a group of students linked to a
university engineering lab working on implementing babel/ipv6 :)

Mathieu

2014-01-30, 17:01:38 -0500, Josh King (jking at opentechinstitute.org):
> Ah cool, I didn't realize that was Réseau Libre. I was talking with them
> the other day about adding Babel support to Commotion.
>
> On Thu 30 Jan 2014 04:54:53 PM EST, Mathieu Lutfy wrote:
> > Hi Josh,
> >
> > Some Reseaulibre.ca folks created their own PoE reset using this spec:
> > http://dren.dk/mreset.html
> >
> > It would indeed be very cool to combine this with an arduino/raspi
> > to automate testing.
> >
> > Mathieu
> >
> > 2014-01-30, 16:25:41 -0500, Josh King (jking at opentechinstitute.org):
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I was speculating today about how we might be able to more smoothly
> >> automate testing on our various testbed networks. Particularly, I was
> >> thinking about how CONFINE uses a recovery device as a "parent" to power
> >> cycle a stuck node (http://wiki.confine-project.eu/hw:recovery-device).
> >> This made me think about how some Ubiquiti POEs have a reset button that
> >> is able to send a signal over the wire to flip a node into TFTP mode in
> >> the same way as the reset button on the node itself. I was wondering if
> >> anyone was familiar with how that process actually worked (I assume
> >> through sending some hi/low signal on one of the ethernet pins that the
> >> chipset in the node recognizes), and if it was possible to simulate it
> >> using an Arduino or similar. It would be great to be able to pair
> >> testbed nodes with something like a raspberry pi that could remotely
> >> reset and TFTP nodes with new firmware and run network tests independent
> >> of the nodes themselves.
> >> --
> >> Josh King
> >> Lead Technologist
> >> The Open Technology Institute

> Josh King
> Lead Technologist
> The Open Technology Institute

--
Mathieu Lutfy        <mathieu at bidon.ca>       http://www.bidon.ca
GPG 0x986487F1 CB77 0BF3 8491 77A9 DA33  6F2E 19A0 B6F9 9864 87F1