[Commotion-dev] Commotion IP ranges for multiple mesh interfaces?

Josh King jking at opentechinstitute.org
Sun Jun 1 20:51:24 EDT 2014

Though we don't currently provide an interface for it, Commotion
supports generating random IPs in arbitrary ranges, not just the default
100.64.0.0/10. If you create profiles in /etc/commotion/profiles.d on
the router, just set the 'ip' parameter to an IP in the range you wish
(for instance, it's 100.64.0.0 by default) and 'ipgenmask' to the
netmask for the corresponding range in which you want to generate an IP
(255.192.0.0 by default). Then you would set assign that profile to the
corresponding mesh interface in /etc/config/network. As an example, you
could have a profile in /etc/commotion/profiles.d/commotion2ghz with the
parameters 'ip: 100.64.0.0' and 'ipgenmask: 255.192.0.0', and
/etc/commotion/profiles5ghz with parameters 'ip: 192.168.0.0' and
'ipgenmask: 255.255.0.0', and then in /etc/config/network set the
profile option for each interface to be 'commotion2ghz' or
'commotion5ghz'. On the next network reload, it will assign new IP
addresses in those ranges.

As for OLSRd, you can add more than one mesh interface. OLSRd, however,
by default adds everything to the kernel's main routing table, which
means that the node will try and forward traffic between your different
subnets. It might make sense in any event to try and achieve the
separation you're talking about (if I understand correctly) with
firewall rules rather than different OLSR instances. Because otherwise,
unless you set up OLSR to set things in different routing tables in the
kernel (and I'm not entirely sure what effect that will have on normally
routed traffic), it will try and all the routes to the default kernel
routing table whether or not you're running two instances.

--
Josh King
Lead Technologist