[Commotion-dev] adding Babel + IPv6 support - follow-up

Linic linic at hotmail.ca
Tue Mar 4 14:06:30 UTC 2014

Hi everyone,

In the middle of January, we started working on adding Babel with IPv6
support to the Commotion firmware. Right now we are here :

1. We have an auto-configuration script that is close to completion for
Babel.
Babel should work natively with IPv4 and IPv6 in the end.

2. We have implemented scripts to auto-assign IPv6 prefixes to nodes
based on RFC4193 and BCP106.
Prefixes are used to issue a default unique-local address to the network
interface used for the lan where computers that host services or connect
to the mesh are connected. In the end, the node will also be able to
dynamically assign addresses to this lan. A 48 bit prefix is generated.
It leaves 16 bits for the node owner for subnetting as needed.

3. We have made some modifications to the web interface to be able to
activate Babel within it.
Right now, selecting Babel as the «Protocol of the new interface» starts
babeld and assigns an IPv6 prefix if it's not already present. From what
we understand, the web interface is a very important piece of the
Commotion firmware. We understand that our modifications here may not be
accepted.

During the month, we will start to divide these functionalities and
create pull-request. The most important points for us are 1. and 2.

Thank you in advance for your help in the next days and have a nice day!

Nicolas Brochu
Developer
Team Réseau Libre
École Polytechnique de Montréal