[Commotion-dev] [Commotion-discuss] QOS

Andy Gunn andygunn at opentechinstitute.org
Sun May 4 18:47:46 EDT 2014

Hey Anderson - my colleague Ryan reminded me about QoS on the Ubiquiti
devices, and how we have discussed that it isn't necessarily the best idea.

The problem with Ubiquiti devices is that they don't have a large amount
of memory to store the data for QoS, so as traffic gets heavier,
performance can take a big hit. This is just a guess, but I wouldn't
enable QoS in OpenWRT or Commotion on any device that has less than 64MB
of RAM (not flash). Just for reference, the Ubiquiti PicoStation M and
NanoStation M routers we have used for building our test networks have
only 32MB of RAM. Ubiquiti Rocket M series devices have 64MB of RAM though.

As we work towards supporting more router models, QoS performance
impacts will be something worth testing.

I wanted to mention this on the list (and I believe others have
mentioned it in the past - Ben I'm looking in your direction), and ask
what QoS or rate limiting folks are doing on their networks, and how
well does your solution work?

On 04/23/2014 08:39 PM, Andy Gunn wrote:
> Hey Anderson - the settings for QOS are under Advanced -> Networking ->
> QOS. You can also find instructions on where to find that, and a bunch
> of other settings in the CCK Configuration guide:
> http://commotionwireless.net/docs/cck/installing-configuring/configure-commotion/#bandwidth-qos
>

> On 4/23/2014 6:09 PM, Anderson Walworth wrote:
>> Is QOS or quality of service in the 1.1rc1 build. If it is where is it? ; )
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Anderson

Andy Gunn, Field Engineer
Open Technology Institute, New America Foundation
andygunn at opentechinstitute.org | 202-596-3484