[Commotion-dev] Commotion IP ranges for multiple mesh interfaces?

miles miles at tenhand.com
Thu May 29 04:01:31 EDT 2014

I may just be confusing myself about how to best use OLSR.

I ran into the problem while setting up a dual band router.  If I use the standard commotion setup, each radio thinks they are attached to the same 100.64 subnet, but they can't view the same hosts.  Olsr will eventually make this work. If I want to force traffic over the backbone, I need set the per interface weight accordingly.
Right?
I think this makes serval dependent on the olsrd routing table, which is unfortunate/redundant.

How do you handle mixed 5ghz and 2 ghz devices today when bridged over Ethernet?

I was also thinking about segmenting the backbone for security reasons - an open 2.4 ghz mesh, and a  signed & encrypted OLSR mesh for the backbone. That would allow for trusted services like NTP and "secure" routing among backbone nodes.
So far, I haven't figured out how to partition olsr without quagga and a lot of pain in the middle.

If splitting the IP space does make sense, how about.
100.64.0/11 for stock commotion (32 Class Bs = thousands of nodes before collisions are likely. )
100.96.0/11 for "backbone" with either a different frequency or different security zone.
100.127.127.0/17  broken into 8 /23s for point to point  links or very sparse networks (like long haul WAN repeaters). That's only  ~ 7 nodes before there is  a 1% chance of collisions, but 1/2048 is fair odds for an auto discovered private link. It may be  more efficient to require manual IP addressing .  Or even set aside one 10.x space ?