[Commotion-dev] Commotion Wireless on Raspberry PI

Dan Staples danstaples at opentechinstitute.org
Thu May 29 11:01:41 EDT 2014

On 05/27/2014 03:12 PM, Joshua Besneatte wrote:
> Thanks! See my replies below :
>
> On 05/27/2014 11:01 AM, Dan Staples wrote:
>> This is really fantastic! It's great to see the accompanying writeup as
>> well, so others can build off your work. (Also encouraging to see you
>> used the writeups from Jumoke--one of our GNOME Outreach Project for
>> Women applicants--as a starting point). I had previously been able to
>> mesh RPis with Commotion routers just by running olsrd on the Pi (and a
>> bunch of manual config), but haven't been able to run the full Commotion
>> client before.
>>
>> Were you able to mesh the Pi with a Commotion router, or just other Pis?
>
> I do not have a commotion router set up yet. Just 2 laptops and 2 Pis.
>
> I had to patch the commotion mesh applet so that I could invoke the mesh
> status window ( without the patch the "show mesh status" option is
> always disabled, unless you can connect with encryption, which is
> impossible unless you are using an atheros chipset ). I haven't posted
> the patch or the patched debs yet, but it's on my list. Is this
> something I could post on the GitHub page? How can I get involved with
> development on the linux side of things?

Definitely feel free to issue pull requests against any of the relevant
repos: https://github.com/opentechinstitute.

As far as getting involved on the linux client, there's definitely
plenty of room there. The person who was heading up the work on that
recently left, but the code as it currently stands (which is
significantly different from what's available in the Debian packages on
our website) can be found here, along with documentation:
https://github.com/opentechinstitute/commotion-client/wiki.

Basically, the new version of the desktop client is aiming to be
cross-platform (Linux, Mac, Windows), and is written is Python using the
PyQt framework.