[Commotion-dev] Fwd: [Builders] AutoNOC - here we go

Dan Staples danstaples at opentechinstitute.org
Sat May 31 12:01:11 EDT 2014

FYI, looks like an interesting project.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [Builders] AutoNOC - here we go
Date: Fri, 30 May 2014 10:47:24 -0500
From: Charles N Wyble <charles at knownelement.com>
To: builders at thefnf.org

Hey everybody,

I wanted to kick off the development/integration work around AutoNOC.
AutoTunnel 0.1 has been released. It still needs love of course, and
I'll be focusing on getting community development underway in the near
future.

Internally we now need to think about AutoNOC and getting a 0.1 of that
released.

So what is AutoNOC?

AutoNOC is a network security monitoring and management suite. It will
allow operators to

1) Push out firmware to radios
2) Push out configuration changes network wide (opkg deployment, snmp
community changes, that sort of thing).
3) Monitor availability and performance of radios,switches,routers,
links, protocol updates etc.
4) Graph availability and performance data of radios,switches,routers,
links, protocol updates etc.
5) Feed 12 hour samples of the above data to guifi.us if the community
desires it (will be off by default, and they'll have to opt in).

Components of AutoNOC

A custom Zenosss plugin that listens to BMX/batman-adv protocol updates
and adds new items to Zenoss (this needs to be written).
Zenoss is the core. It covers
monitoring/alerting/graphing/reporting/dashboards etc.
Rundeck will be used for command dispatch to all the systems.
Slack will be used for configuration (/etc/config) file distribution and
continuous compliance

The above tools are ones that I'm personally very familiar with and I
know they will scale and are trivial to deploy and get productive with
quickly.

I'd estimate about 100 developer hours to have a fully
integrated/tested/proven appliance (a full 1.0 release).

30 hours for writing the zenoss plugin
20 hours for integrating everything into a comprehensive whole
10 hours for documentation
20 hours for SNMP work (query/traps) (as that's the core of the
monitoring/alerting/thresholding system)
20 hours for overages/misc

The prototype is already underway in the FNF lab. I'd need about 10 dev
hours for a 0.1 release. Add the above 100 on top of that for the full
schedule.

Thoughts?

--
Charles N Wyble