[Commotion-dev] experience with QoS on OpenWRT?

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sat Sep 20 03:32:07 EDT 2014

On Sep 19, 2014 12:20 PM, "Dan Staples" <danstaples at opentechinstitute.org>
wrote:

> Has anyone done much with the Quality of Service options in OpenWRT? I'm
> particularly curious if anyone has seen better or worse performance
> depending on a router's hardware specs (RAM and such). We're including
> some documentation on doing QoS but we want to make sure to note any
> problems that users may encounter depending on their router.

I have done a bit here and there. The QoS scripts for openwrt are a bit
flawed, so there is this thing we have created called sqm which is an
openwrt package in the ceropackages-3.10 repo on github.

http://snapon.lab.bufferbloat.net/~cero2/jimreisert/results.html

Ram is generally not a problem.

Cpu is a problem above 50 mbit on ingress on the ancient mips platforms.
htb or HFSC  basically bottleneck  on interrupts. Based on that problem we
have been developing a new rate limiter, contact me off list if you want to
try it...

x86 hardware can do htb to the hundreds of mbits. I don't have data yet o
the newer arm boxes.

Most of the need for inbound rate limiting declines as you go higher than 80
Mbits. It is most needed the slower you need to go on outbound and inbound.

http://burntchrome.blogspot.gr/2014_08_01_archive.html