[Commotion-dev] Commotion and Shell Shock

Griffin Boyce griffin at cryptolab.net
Thu Sep 25 10:59:10 EDT 2014

Dan Staples wrote:
> The news about the Shell Shock/Bash bug[1] has gotten pretty big now.
> There's also a lot of rhetoric about this being a bigger deal than the
> Heartbleed vulnerability. I am wondering if it's worth putting up a
> quick blog post on the Commotion website that the router firmware is
> *not* vulnerable (since OpenWRT comes with the ash shell by default
> rather than bash).

   I would -- given that everything from Ubuntu to Rails apps to sites
that generate their own captchas with ImageMagick are vulnerable,
Commotion is one of the few projects that *isn't* vulnerable to this
bug.

   Commotion evaded both Heartbleed (cyassl) and ShellShock (ash), which
is pretty awesome =)

best,
Griffin

--
"I believe that usability is a security concern; systems that do
not pay close attention to the human interaction factors involved