[Commotion-dev] Ad-hoc problems in BB: authenticated but not authorized

Dan Staples danstaples at opentechinstitute.org
Wed Apr 1 14:35:40 EDT 2015

I'm testing out our 1.2rc1 builds which use OpenWRT Barrier Breaker, and I'm running into a problem I haven't seen in a while. A TP-Link WDR4300 I'm using is trying to connect to an existing mesh of Picostations on a 2.4GHz channel. It fails to join the ad-hoc network, and when I run "iw dev wlan0 station dump", it indicates that for every nearby peer in the network that is has successfully authenticated but has *failed* to authorize. For example:

Station dc:9f:db:98:72:cf (on wlan0)
	inactive time:	9950 ms
	rx bytes:	11903
	rx packets:	166
	tx bytes:	0
	tx packets:	0
	tx retries:	0
	tx failed:	0
	signal:  	-49 [-58, -49] dBm
	signal avg:	-48 [-57, -49] dBm
	tx bitrate:	1.0 MBit/s
	rx bitrate:	1.0 MBit/s
	authorized:	no
	authenticated:	yes
	preamble:	long
	WMM/WME:	yes
	MFP:		no
	TDLS peer:	no

We've run into this problem before on Attitude Adjustment, but I remember the fixes being ath9k driver patches. Reboots fail to make a difference. Interestingly, this same device has been working just fine on the same network until recently, when I changed the channel.

Has anyone seen this on BB and/or have any ideas how to fix it?

thanks,
Dan

--
Dan Staples

Open Technology Institute
https://commotionwireless.net
OpenPGP key: http://disman.tl/pgp.asc
Fingerprint: 2480 095D 4B16 436F 35AB 7305 F670 74ED BD86 43A9