[Commotion-dev] New Commotion Router buildsystem

Josh King jking at opentechinstitute.org
Wed Jan 28 11:38:12 EST 2015

Hi all,

I'll be writing a blogpost or something more in-depth about it, but just
wanted to note that the work on a new buildsystem for Commotion Router
images that I've been tinkering with for a while has been merged into
the commotion-router Github repository
(https://github.com/opentechinstitute/commotion-router). New features:

* Written in CMake
* More maintainable, easier to create build configurations for router
models.
* Wraps the OpenWRT ImageBuilder and SDK instead of the full OpenWRT
buildroot, so greater consistency and faster because it only compiles
what it needs.
* Integrates a new Commotion upgrade bundler that Dan Staples (dismantl)
is working on for our next version.

I'll be updating our documentation to reflect the new system, but
currently there is basic documentation in the README. One other note:
the new buildsystem is currently only usable for building Barrier
Breaker-based images, which are not currently fully functional yet.
We'll be working on bugfixes to get those images working correctly, but
in the meantime if you need to build v1.1-series images based on
Attitude Adjustment, the old build script and configurations are still
available in the 1.1 branch of the commotion-router repository.

Still work to be done, but I thought the best way to get bugs fixed and
to work on the Barrier Breaker port was to get the new version out there.
--
Josh King
Lead Technologist