[Commotion-discuss] Really little $20 POE wifi hotspot: AirGateway

Ben West ben at gowasabi.net
Fri Aug 16 20:33:05 UTC 2013

I spied someone showing off their modded Ubiquiti AirGateway on the Burning
Man wifi list, in particular cracked open to run directly off 12VDC from a
solar panel / battery system:

http://mindfart.com/pic/?airgate-injector1
http://mindfart.com/pic/?airgate-injector2

The burners seem to love it, what with all that radical self-reliance and
so forth.

In normal use, this little guy snaps in between the stock POE injector
provided with the UBNT radio and the cat5 run. I believe it has the same
400MHz / mips32 embedded SoC as other UBNT M-series gear, and 32MB of RAM.
My guess is that it has 2dB on-board patch antenna, but I'm hoping that
de-popping 0ohm resistors makes the addition of an RP-SMA pigtail possible.

http://www.ubnt.com/airmax#airgateway

Looks like Ubiquiti is totally sneaking this under the radar.  Vendors
should start selling it hopefully in a month or two, although burners say
it can be purchased right now by creating an account at
reseller.streakwave.com.

The datasheet indicates it runs AirOS, which would suggest reflashing to
OpenWRT is possible.  I've yet to find any confirmation about that, though.

--
Ben West
http://gowasabi.net
ben at gowasabi.net