[Commotion-discuss] Some pre-experimentation mesh hardware inquiries

Mikael Nordfeldth mmn at hethane.se
Wed Feb 27 11:31:54 UTC 2013

Hello,
I'm involved in Umeå Hackerspace, northern Sweden, and we're thinking
(like so many others) that a wireless mesh network would be great to
have in our neighbourhood. I've been looking at both Commotion and the
Byzantium project (http://project-byzantium.org/) for inspiration,
technology and software.

 From what I can tell Commotion currently has OpenWRT builds for some of
the Ubiquiti hardware and from what I can tell from documentation this
is a working solution albeit somewhat hacky and developer-oriented. I
have a little bit of personal budget to kickstart this project and buy
hardware to experiment with. My first test scenario is to at least have
three APs/laptops working in a mesh to connect an apartment a couple of
blocks away from the source internet connection.

Any experience-based suggestions on which hardware is best suited,
general tips for putting up a network like this etc. for someone who's
only used two OpenWRT boxes to "bridge" before?

And a bonus inquiry: are there any efforts (or ideas on how much effort
it would mean) to put Commotion firmware onto common units like the
Linksys WRT54GL and such?

--
Mikael Nordfeldth
http://blog.mmn-o.se/