[Commotion-discuss] Some pre-experimentation mesh hardware inquiries

Dan Staples danstaples at opentechinstitute.org
Thu Feb 28 16:10:14 UTC 2013

In our upcoming release, we use the Serval daemon as a core technology
of Commotion. In fact, due to a plugin we wrote to integrate Serval's
crypto functions to sign olsrd traffic with a shared key, mesh nodes
that lack this functionality and key cannot mesh with Commotion nodes
that do have it.

So I guess it comes down to what you mean by being a member of a
Commotion mesh. If that just means routing traffic, you could get by
with just servald and olsrd (with requisite plugins). But Commotion has
a whole bunch of other features that you wouldn't get with this setup.

If you can give us a greater idea of what functionality you want or
need, we could probably be more specific. Do you have the ability to get
hardware, or are you just able to use common units like the WRT54G? I
would recommend getting Ubiquiti nodes if you can; their picostation is
around $80USD. We are also working on developing Commotion clients of
Linux/Mac/Windows, which should be available in the near future, in case
you want to run Commotion on a laptop.

Dan

On 02/27/2013 04:35 PM, Christian Huldt wrote:
> My first question was more about what it takes today to be an (perhaps
> unequal) member of a commotion based mesh. It is (still?) olsrd? Any
> special parameters?
>
> I'd love to play a little more with it and it would ease the setup to
> know more about the basics - I happen to run a few meshes (most based on
> batman_adv) and do believe in the solution to end users that commotion
> could bring.
>
> (Apologies for being too lazy/time constrained to read the code)

Dan Staples

Open Technology Institute
https://commotionwireless.net