[Commotion-discuss] Website feedback from hackday on "warning" sign

Seamus Tuohy s2e at opentechinstitute.org
Wed Jun 12 19:09:32 UTC 2013

Commotion has been publicly advertised as a security and circumvention
tool. A warning that can be disregarded, or examines Commotions security
in terms of liability, or from the perspective of it simply as router
firmware disregards the social realities surrounding the tool.

The Commotion warning label is an intervention. It uses global standards
for warning construction that were researched to cause exactly the
reaction we are seeing. This includes placement, size, color, and
language. Because it follows global standards users understand that it
is important and read the contents.

I would argue that it does in fact help a user navigate the risks since
each warning is directly linked to an overview of the risk and tools
that the user can use instead, or on top of commotion, in order to
address risks that they are concerned about.

https://commotionwireless.net/understanding-commotions-warning-label#internet

Wireless risks and security are very rarely understood, let alone mesh
security and risks. With our placement as "circumvention technology" in
the public we have a responsibility to educate any possible user on the
current state of the Commotion platform for circumvention and security.

Camouflaging the warning label below the fold, or in a color scheme that
is not immediately understood as a warning is in my opinion dishonest.
Until public opinion matches the current capabilities and safe use cases
of the Commotion platform I think that this intervention is the only
morally correct option. Safety should always trump style and comfort.

s2e