[Commotion-discuss] Hardware testing

Dan Staples danstaples at opentechinstitute.org
Mon May 6 14:21:23 UTC 2013

Hi Luigi,

I suspect you cannot connect your iphone to windows laptop because of
the firewall on your windows laptop. Try disabling the windows firewall
and see if you can connect after that.

For passwords, both the AP password and the network (ad-hoc) password
should have been set during the quickstart wizard. You can check the AP
password in /etc/commotion/profiles.d/quickstartSec and the ad-hoc
password in /etc/commotion/profiles.d/quickstartMesh. You should only
need the AP password when connecting with the iphone or laptop.

I don't have experience with WDS, so I'm sorry I can't help you there.
This might help: http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/clientmode

What do you want to test regarding ad-hoc? The routers should be able
to talk to each other over ad-hoc, so you can try pinging one from the
other, using their 5.X.X.X IP addresses.

Hope this helps.

-Dan

On Sun 05 May 2013 04:25:06 AM EDT, LuigiScop wrote:

> a) Test of one WAP based on 1 picostation.
>
> -home server based on WAMP connected to LAN port of picostation.
> I can access to the web pages from my  Iphone .
> -Internet service connected to the LAN port of Picostation .
> I can access Internet from my Iphone.
> -I can connect my Iphone to a laptop(windows) through  the AP.
>
> b) Test of  one ESS based on 2  WAP (2 Picostations).
> I have set the two picostations separately with Quick setup.
>
> First question:
> 1)When I check the available wirelelss connections by my Laptop or
> Iphone I  see  :
> -CommotionWifi (free).
> -.Commotionwireless.net(with ad-hoc icon).If I try to connect with
> Iphone or Laptop a  password is required.Which password?
> The network password I set in the administration page  doesn't work.
>
> Second question.
> -Some guidelines to set the two APs in bridge/range extension
> configuration(WDS..??).
>
> Third
> -Some guidelines to test the routers as ad-hoc network nodes.
>
> Thanks.
>
> luigi

Dan Staples

Open Technology Institute