[Commotion-discuss] Mesh Networks vs Spoke Hub-Spoke Networks in Developing Countries

Joshua Breitbart breitbart at newamerica.net
Fri Oct 25 01:45:13 UTC 2013

To this great discussion, I'll add one slightly more obscure point: In
my experience speaking with people who have next to no experience with
wireless networking, there's something about mesh that makes intuitive
sense. I think it's that the flexibility makes it easier to align with
the social networks we experience in our daily lives.

If you tell people there will be one leader and anyone who wants to say
anything to anyone else has to pass a message through the leader, that
doesn't sound very appealing. On the other hand, if you say that anyone
can speak to anyone else as long as we take turns, can see each other,
and don't talk too loudly, that seems right.

So, yes, mesh networking has some added technical overhead, but as a
digital expression of the world we want, it's a lot more appealing than
hub-and-spoke.