[Commotion-discuss] How do you factory reset a Rocket?

Adam Longwill adam.longwill at gmail.com
Thu Sep 5 19:15:15 UTC 2013

This may seem like an asinine question but I'm stumped.

We lucked into 5 Rockets (M2's and M5's!) last week and I'm trying to reset
them to factory defaults. As anyone who has played with ubnt routers knows,
they're finicky about resetting.

What is the actual, honest-to-goodness, guaranteed-to-work way to factory
reset a Ubiquiti Rocket WITHOUT LOGGING IN? I have watched every video on
the web concerning this and read all Ubiquiti's documentation. Doesn't help.

Here's what I do:
Device is off. I hold the reset button in. I power on the device. Releasing
after 8 seconds is supposed to put it in TFTP mode. Releasing after 15
seconds resets it completely.

The thing is, neither of these amount of times actually resets it and I
can't ping it when the lights are blinking 1 and 3 then 2 and 4. Upon power
cycling the router, the old SSID pops up on my wifi network monitor. It's
been rather frustrating. Can anyone shed some light on how to reset a
Ubiquiti rocket without logging in and resetting it?

Thank you!

Adam L.