[Commotion-discuss] How do you factory reset a Rocket?

Ben West ben at gowasabi.net
Thu Sep 5 19:25:42 UTC 2013

I've generally been able to put my Rocket M into TFTP/recover mode by
holding down the reset button upon power-up for at least 15seconds.

If you are able to get the unit into TFTP mode (i.e. it responds to ping at
address 192.168.1.20), you can effect a factory reset by then simply
uploading an image to reflash it, whether with stock UBNT firmware or
OpenWRT/Commotion.

http://wiki.ubnt.com/Firmware_Recovery

On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 2:15 PM, Adam Longwill <adam.longwill at gmail.com>wrote:

> This may seem like an asinine question but I'm stumped.
>
> We lucked into 5 Rockets (M2's and M5's!) last week and I'm trying to
> reset them to factory defaults. As anyone who has played with ubnt routers
> knows, they're finicky about resetting.
>
> What is the actual, honest-to-goodness, guaranteed-to-work way to factory
> reset a Ubiquiti Rocket WITHOUT LOGGING IN? I have watched every video on
> the web concerning this and read all Ubiquiti's documentation. Doesn't help.
>
> Here's what I do:
> Device is off. I hold the reset button in. I power on the device.
> Releasing after 8 seconds is supposed to put it in TFTP mode. Releasing
> after 15 seconds resets it completely.
>
> The thing is, neither of these amount of times actually resets it and I
> can't ping it when the lights are blinking 1 and 3 then 2 and 4. Upon power
> cycling the router, the old SSID pops up on my wifi network monitor. It's
> been rather frustrating. Can anyone shed some light on how to reset a
> Ubiquiti rocket without logging in and resetting it?
>
> Thank you!
>
> Adam L.

Ben West
http://gowasabi.net