[Commotion-discuss] Commotion firmware for ubiquiti picostation2 hp

Ben West ben at gowasabi.net
Fri Sep 6 14:29:39 UTC 2013

Aha, my only experience with the ath5k-generation UBNT radios was the
Nanostation and Bullet, which only had 16MB of RAM.

Anyhoo, the Picostation 2HP would correspond to the "atheros" platform (aka
ath5k driver) under OpenWRT, and it will not run the ar71xx images at all.
You would need to compile Commotion-OpenWRT for the atheros platform.

Also, I can furthermore confirm the current generation of OpenWRT Attitude
Adjustment has something wrong with its kernel-level GPIO support that
prevents images from booting on atheros platform, at least on the Engenius
and Open Mesh radios I've tested.  The OpenWRT-devel community hasn't
devoted any effort to fixing this (and they possibly won't, due to these
devices' age).

I've no idea if the broken GPIO support also prevents OpenWRT AA from
booting on Picstation 2HP.  You may need to try flashing AA (i.e. regular
OpenWRT, not Commotion-OpenWRT) on the device first to see if it boots.

On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 9:15 AM, Griffin Boyce <griffinboyce at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 09/06/2013 09:58 AM, Ben West wrote:
> > If memory serves, and you are not referring to a Picostation 2M, the
> > Pico 2HP is an ath5k-based radio like the FONera.  However, I believe
> > it only has 4Mbytes of flash and 16Mbytes of RAM.  Commotion-OpenWRT
> > wouldn't be able to run on this device at all.
> >
> > I've compiled older versions of Commotion-OpenWRT for atheros platform
> > to run on Engenius EOC-1650 and Open Mesh OM1P, albeit with several
> > ugly patches to work-around missing GPIO support (i.e. the status LEDs
> > don't work).  Although, I do not have any recent images handy.
>
> The 2HP has 32mb of RAM and 8mb flash size with some kind of Atheros
> chipset, so hopefully it will able to run Commotion.[1]
>
> ~Griffin
> [1] http://dl.ubnt.com/pico2hp_ds.pdf
>
> --
> "Cypherpunks write code not flame wars." --Jurre van Bergen
> #Foucault / PGP: 0xAE792C97 / OTR: saint at jabber.ccc.de
>
> My posts, while frequently amusing, are not representative of the thoughts
> of my employer.

Ben West
http://gowasabi.net
ben at gowasabi.net