[Commotion-discuss] Commotion Splash Screen

Dan Hastings dhastings at abaarsotech.org
Thu Sep 12 11:40:56 UTC 2013

Yesterday we had our first large internet outage since setting up our
first few commotion nodes.  I have our homepage in the our computer lab
set to google.com but since we are on an open network the commotion
splash screen comes up first.  This is great since it makes it easier
for students to access local applications without having to memorize the
location of the applications on the network.

However, when our net went out the splash screen did not come up.  I was
wondering if anyone knew a way to set the splash screen so it will come
up regardless if their is internet access. Should the splash screen
appear anyway regardless and am I'm missing something in the captive
portal settings? Is there way to set the splash screen as a homepage?

Also, I've noticed that some students who are running older versions of
Firefox and chrome in windows 7 would not be redirected to the splash
screen and could not access the internet.  After updating their browsers
we seemed to get to the splash screen fine to allow internet access. Not
sure if this has been a problem in the past or of I'm missing something
as well.

Any guidance or help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan