[Commotion-discuss] Commotion Splash Screen

Ben West me at benwest.name
Thu Sep 12 16:02:34 UTC 2013

Hi All,

Is nodogsplash still being investigated as a stand-alone splash page
solution?  My understanding is that nodog would intercept users' port 80
sessions before any DNS queries were actually launched.

I realize the version of nodog available until just recently was lacking
key bandwidth throttling features, but I can share that a new nodog was
released a few days ago.  The Changelog, unfortunately, doesn't indicate
that throttling has yet been ported to the new 3.x kernel.
https://github.com/nodogsplash/nodogsplash/releases/tag/v0.9_beta9.9.8

Anyway, on the old ROBIN firmware, the nodog captive portal would indeed
continue to display even in case of Internet outage, since the portal
content is stored locally on the node.  I had used that very capability to
(manually) adjust content on nodes' local splash page and announce
outages.  This unfortunately didn't work out as a reliable means to
announce outages, since the ROBIN firmware itself would later detect the
Internet outage and disable the nodes' AP entirely (a feature which
couldn't be disabled, and got annoying very quickly).

As for a node detecting whether it has Internet access, I think Freifunk
scripted solution for that in the freifunk-gwcheck package.  Unfortunately,
luci,subsignal.org appears to be down now, so I can't cite the source code.

This appears to be clone:
https://dev.openwrt.org.cn/browser/feeds/luci/trunk/luci/luci/contrib/package/freifunk-gwcheck

Ben West
me at benwest.name