[Commotion-discuss] Commotion Splash Screen

Ben West me at benwest.name
Thu Sep 12 18:00:53 UTC 2013

Hi Dan,

I believe ROBIN's trick was to include local hostname entries for the
router, e.g. my.open-mesh.com, in into the node's dnsmasq config.

Likewise, dnsmasq supports storing a local cache on the node, which could
be enhanced/enlarged to ensure a good chance that a commonly requested URLs
(google.com, yahoo.com, etc) has entries in the local cache.  Indeed, the
local cache could also be explicitly seeded on power-up with such popular
entries.  I don't believe the RAM requirements for 150 entries vs 10000
entries in the local DNS cache are that severe.

This might allow nodogsplash to stand a good chance of successfully caching
users' port 80 sessions in the event of an Internet outage and display an
appropriate portal page (e.g. announcement of the outage).

This approach would assume the node normally has an Internet connection,
and that outages are infrequent.

me at benwest.name