[Commotion-discuss] Commotion Splash Screen

Darby Hickey darbyhickey at opentechinstitute.org
Tue Sep 17 13:30:24 UTC 2013

Thanks Josh and Ryan -- those were my thoughts too. If we are talking about
Commotion's use-case as an intra-net without dependency on global Internet
access, then not having the splash page appear unless there is connectivity
seems like a problem -- but hopefully a problem with an easy solution?

If I am building a network with Commotion on which Internet is an
occasional added bonus, how do people access the network/the local apps
without going to the splashpage?

On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 10:38 AM, Joshua Breitbart <
breitbart at opentechinstitute.org> wrote:

> On 9/12/13 10:11 AM, Ryan Gerety wrote:
> > For now, we just need a way to let people know there is a
> > splash/community/apps page right?
> >
> > Perhaps access points should be named "go to x" so that people would
> > have some idea of where to go?
>
> But that instruction would only make sense if the Internet was down and
> the splash page wasn't working, right? So it's another node-by-node
> adjustment you would have to make after an outage.
>
> If I understand it correctly, you would still be able to get to a
> locally-hosted page or service by entering in the IP address, so we'd
> have to socialize an emergency IP address for people to enter in advance
> of an Internet outage, the way people in the US know to dial 911 in case
> of emergency. Or is that not how it would work?
>

> > On 9/12/2013 8:24 AM, Dan Staples wrote:
> >> Hi Dan,
> >>
> >> Unfortunately, the splash screen currently requires internet access to
> >> function. This is because the captive portal program intercepts and
> >> modifies responses to clients' DNS requests, and those responses only
> >> occur if DNS servers are available in the first place. With no internet
> >> access, no DNS response, no splash screen.
> >>
> >> I have worked on creating a captive portal solution for
> >> non-internet-connected Commotion networks, and it in fact works. The
> >> problem is that there is currently no way to have a router auto-detect
> >> whether it is currently connected to the internet or not, and then
> >> auto-configure its captive portal to do the right thing. If your network
> >> suffered an internet outage, you would have to either restart DNSmasq on
> >> each node, or reboot all the nodes, in order for the splash screen to
> >> continue to function. And then do the same thing once internet access
> >> was restored.
> >>
> >> There might be a way to run a script periodically to check for internet
> >> connectivity, and then restart DNSmasq if it detects an outage. I'll try
> >> to work on that and see what I can do.
> >>
> >> Do you know what versions of Firefox and Chrome didn't work with the
> >> splash page? If you can find out, I can look into that too.
> >>
> >> cheers,
> >> Dan

> the

> was

> browsers
> Not

Darby Hickey
Program Associate, Open Technology Institute
New America Foundation
202-596-3415
oti.newamerica.net