[Commotion-discuss] track status of gateway nodes

Andy Gunn andygunn at opentechinstitute.org
Tue Apr 1 11:10:52 EDT 2014

Hi John - thanks for writing about this. I know that one of our testing
networks uses Zabbix (http://www.zabbix.com/) to monitor the status of
nodes, though I don't know much about it.

I'm hoping someone that manages that network (or has experience with
Zabbix) can chime in and describe how it is set up!

On 03/31/2014 08:33 PM, john coleman wrote:
> We are slowly growing, we will add our 4th node in a couple days. There
> is a lot of neighborhood interest but we're growing very cautiously.
>
> As we grow, I am wondering how to monitor the gateways to the internet
> so that when one goes down I can quickly ask the owner to contact their
> service provider.  An email once or twice a day to let me know what
> gateways are fully functional or an email notice when a gateway looses
> connection to the internet would be ideal. Is there software built-in or
> as a service that could do this?  Any suggestions?
> john

Andy Gunn, Field Engineer
Open Technology Institute, New America Foundation
andygunn at opentechinstitute.org | 202-596-3484