[Commotion-discuss] Meta Mesh in Pittsburgh is working on do-it-yourself heatmapping

Adam Longwill adam.longwill at metamesh.org
Wed Aug 6 23:10:03 EDT 2014

We have been able to build our own heatmap using Kismet and ArcGIS and I
wanted to give you all a sneak peak at an early rendition of our heatmap
we're showing to interested neighborhoods. Below is about a 45 minute drive
around the limits of a Pittsburgh neighborhood with Kismet on a laptop and
this guy
(http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008200LHW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1).
We pumped the 25mb Kismet output through a Ruby wringer to make it show the
number of SSIDs visible at an X and Y coordinate and then made a .csv file
which we tossed into ArcGIC 10.2.2 and tada, heatmap. I'm sure many of you
could find this useful. You could tailor your heatmaps to record the signal
strength of your mesh access points at given distances or even see what
mesh APs are visible at a certain set of coordinates. The possibilities are
endless and it just takes a matter of time, patience, and knowledge.

We'll be sure to streamline this process not only for our own benefit but
for yours as well in the near future. Keep an eye on MetaMesh.org for
updates!

[image: Inline image 1]

Good Luck!

Adam Longwill