[Commotion-discuss] Red Hook’s Cutting-Edge Wireless Network

Ben West ben at gowasabi.net
Tue Aug 26 11:32:25 EDT 2014

Fantastic to read about the successful Commotion deployment, and also to
see the deployment of Tidepools here: http://www.redhookwifi.org/

I can understand the choice to stock AirOS for P2P backhaul links.
 Probably to get TDMA (aka "AirMax") and DFS.  The latter is going to
become more critical to folks needing to do long-distance wireless links
over 5.8GHz in urban settings.

Case in point: I recently had to pay a visit to a WasabiNet neighbor to
diagnose some radio interference issues.  They were causing nasty
interference to WasabiNet backhaul nodes, having taken my advice on what
sort of UBNT M5 gear to use for their 1-block wireless hop, but also having
completely ignored my request to not set their units to same channel I was
using.  While explaining to them why selecting a free channel is considered
a courtesy to your neighbors, I noticed the AP scan on their Nanostation M5
showed several 5.8GHz APs in the immediately vicinity *already* operating
on DFS channels, along with higher density of APs on the non-DFS channels.
 UBNT only just recently released firmware that is considered safe/legal
for DFS channels maybe ~1year ago, so I was surprised to see so many
neighbors' radios on those frequencies so soon.

Nevertheless, the recent ar71xx deadlock bug fix I posted about on the
commotion-dev list a couple weeks ago does improve OpenWRT radio stability
substantially.

--
Ben West
http://gowasabi.net