[Commotion-discuss] [Commotion-dev] Commotion R1 Changes

Ben West ben at gowasabi.net
Thu Jan 16 15:20:08 UTC 2014

All of the addressing changes look like great ideas.

Question: is the decision to address all clients within the address space
10.0.0.0/8 to, among other things, help make client roaming between nodes
easier?  I.e. implying that clients would be assigned the same IP
regardless of which node they associate with?

I noticed this item filed in the feature queue just now:
https://github.com/opentechinstitute/commotion-router/issues/87

On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 4:52 PM, Dan Staples <
danstaples at opentechinstitute.org> wrote:

> Developers and network maintainers might want to check out our blog post
> on significant backwards-imcompatible changes in the R1 release:
> https://commotionwireless.net/blog/commotion-r1-breaking-changes
>
> In summary:
> * Mesh IP addresses are now self-assigned in the 100.64.0.0/10 range and
> all client subnets are bridged and assigned addresses in the 10.0.0.0/8
> range
> * default adhoc SSID and channel were removed
> * adhoc BSSID is now deterministically generated based on hash of SSID
> and channel
>
> The blog post explains the details and reasoning behind these changes,
> for those that are interested, and also includes info on upgrading
> pre-R1 Commotion networks.
>
> You can also find R1 release notes here:
> https://commotionwireless.net/blog/commotion-router-v1-release-notes
>
> cheers,
> Dan
>
> --
> Dan Staples
>
> Open Technology Institute
> https://commotionwireless.net
> OpenPGP key: http://disman.tl/pgp.asc
> Fingerprint: 2480 095D 4B16 436F 35AB 7305 F670 74ED BD86 43A9

Ben West
http://gowasabi.net
ben at gowasabi.net
314-246-9434