[Commotion-discuss] [Commotion-dev] Commotion R1 Changes

Dan Staples danstaples at opentechinstitute.org
Thu Jan 16 17:05:34 UTC 2014

We actually hadn't considered that since the access point handover is a
pretty large project for down the line. It was more for the sake of
simplicity, IIRC.

Handover aside, I also don't think retaining a client IP address would
be possible without some restructuring, since the 10.0.0.0/8 client
subnet on each router is chosen to be unique (in order to avoid
collision), i.e. the router assigns client IP addresses on the
10.a.b.0/24 range, where a and b correspond to the last two bytes of the
router's MAC address.

But it's still worth considering. Do you think retaining client IP
addresses would provide some benefits, as opposed to just getting a new
IP address when switching APs?

Dan

--
Dan Staples