[Commotion-discuss] for discussion- running local apps on Commotion networks

Christian Huldt christian at solvare.se
Tue Mar 25 04:01:27 UTC 2014

Chris Ritzo skrev 2014-03-24 16:33:
> Hello Commotion-Discuss subscribers:
>
> A common question we receive is "What applications can I run on a
> Commotion network? How do I set up xyz application?
>
> For instance,
> - How do we perform file sharing?
> - How do we perform text, voice, or video chat sessions?
> - How about mesh email, chat rooms, bulletin board systems, etc?
> - What software currently exists to enable the non-technical person to
> use a GUI to perform useful functions?
>
> If you have experience or ideas about what applications are useful in
> this situation, or are already running apps on a local Commotion
> network, please join the discussion.
>
> Part of what we're hoping to address is proving documentation on how to
> set up and run network applications on a local mesh network, whether
> it's connected to the Internet or not.

I've been thinking about this too, I'd like to have something like
turnkeylinux[1] that's easy to run and without default passwords.

Seems not so easy to run two services on one instance though, so you
might end end up with at lot of servers, virtual or physical...

Perhaps we could create some installer to just tick which services to
install/enable at launch?

Personally, I'd like to have something like tidepools[2] with an easy
install option to grab a map from openstreetmaps.org :-)

[1] http://www.turnkeylinux.org
[2] http://www.tidepools.co

--
Christian Huldt