[Commotion-discuss] Apple & Multipeer Connectivity Framework + commotion?

Dan Staples danstaples at opentechinstitute.org
Thu Mar 27 15:13:49 UTC 2014

It's unclear whether the iOS feature is actually adhoc/mesh wifi. You
can see some brief technical speculation here:
https://lists.chambana.net/pipermail/commotion-dev/2014-March/001773.html.
I would be curious to know more about the feature.

But FireChat is definitely not compatible with Commotion. In fact, Open
Garden and FireChat are completely proprietary and closed source, so
there's really no motivation to interoperate with them.

Peer-to-peer mobile is certainly exciting, especially on iOS, but
sometimes the excitement overshadows the more important political and
technical details.

It's such a shame that this closed source project is getting so much
hype in the media recently, as some sort of panacea for connectivity and
everything that enables, with little to no (I haven't seen any) talk
about why proprietary software like this is so problematic.

Here's a rant about Open Garden I can appreciate:
http://www.thepowerbase.com/2012/10/the-not-open-garden-using-open-as-a-buzzword/

Dan