[Commotion-discuss] Commotion Wireless Fano(Italy)

LuigiScop luigi.scopelliti at fastwebnet.it
Thu May 15 12:43:36 EDT 2014

Hello Josh and Dan,
I contact directly you because I have already contacted you in the past.
I have talk to Josh and Dan in Berlin at IS4WCN 2013.

I have spent a lot of effort to perform tests Commotion Wireless
firmaware and
I think you(all the team) did a great job.
The test has been done, until now, in my Home, with 2 picostations,2
raspberry,1 nanostation,several PCs,smartphone...
But much more effort has been spent  to create a community and spread around
the idea of your project.
This has been much more difficult that the technical evaluation of the
firmware.
I am ,now,at a point where the idea has very good chances to be realized.
In the last few weeks I have constituted a team( 3 young boys(18/19
years old), 1 adult and me).
I don't bother you on how much effort it took to achieve
this:time,meeting,money,advertisements,for months and months.
I have already showed to team how the commotion wireless mesh works and
I have used MediaGrid installed on a mini server (raspberry).
The outcome of this?
The boys have bought the Raspberry by their own and have created a
facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Commotion-Wireless-Fano/138757409627896?notif_t=page_invite_accepted

(See the picture with all of you!)
But more important achievement is that a community representative of the
local church contacted me saying that he wants to support the project.
This is a great start,because ,soon lot of people in the city will talk
about this project and you.
I have called this approach "Internet at Km 0" where,with this, I mean
that the data and the network are used  by the local community who
created them and therefore own them.
Like goods locally produced are consumed locally, the same for the data
and internet.
I have learned a lot from you and this is the key point I have got form
your experience.
But I have talked a lot and I go directly to the point.
Few questions.
a)I'm going to invest in Commotion Wireless :How long the
CommotionWireless project will be supported by you(OTI,)?
I would like to avoid that I start with your solution and after 1 year
all will be shutted down.
b)I need to understand better which effort has to be done to be in the
condition to modify commotion software and develop specific applications
for the community.This will not done tomorrow,but I want to create some
local competencies for developing applications and support software
development .We need to go by our legs.
In other words:how did you reach the competences you have now?
Which are your suggestions?
c)For planning and installing the network I need really your support.
I can follow the guidelines on Commotion web site "Get started".
But it is save to have the final approval from who has already
implemented successfully the network several time.
I saw the second Commotion node installed by Dan in Baltimore!
d)Where the IS4WCN will be in Europe on 2014?Can you take this
opportunity and come in Italy and meet us and the new"Italian Digital
Stuart"?

Thanks a lot to all of you.
Waiting for your reply.

Luigi