[Commotion-discuss] distribution of load among gateways and speed gains?

john coleman jcolema1 at wisc.edu
Mon May 26 10:27:39 EDT 2014

     Our neighborhood mesh is small but growing steadily.  We have gateways on the mesh that vary by about 10 fold in speed.  Can someone explain if and how the commotion mesh distributes load between the gateways and if those linked to the wireless routers on the slow gateways can expect any speed increase because of the distributed load?
     Using common speed test websites (www.speedtest.net and www.bandwidthplace.com) I see no gain in speed by being linked to the mesh. However, I am unsure if those types of speed tests are appropriate for a mesh network.
     When a gateway goes down, the attached node switches to another gateway to access the internet, as it should. But I can't see evidence that nodes attached to slow gateways receive speed benefits by having fast gateways on the mesh.  Any insights or pointers to, not too technical, documentation?
thanks,
john
p.s. using
PicoStation M2-HPs  running grumpy cat 1.1rc1