[Commotion-discuss] Atheros-based pocket router w/ 8MB flash

Ben West me at benwest.name
Thu Sep 18 11:37:23 EDT 2014

I can share experience that the Atheros ath9k-based single radio devices
like the TL-MR3020, TL-WN703N, Open Mesh OM2P, and likewise this derivative
GL.iNet, will exhibit somewhat less than stellar wireless throughput, due
to the single antenna.  The dual-antenna APs will do noise-cancellation,
even on standard 802.11n w/o MIMO.  The affect is noticeable, especially in
an inherently noisy environment like a mesh.

I had been toying around with MR3020's and WN703N's running minified
firmware small enough to fit on 4MByte flash, and have since moved on to
slightly more expensive (but not much) TL-MR3420's.  Still must fit stuff
into 4MBytes of flash, but the USB port would allow for supplemental
firmware on an outboard flash drive.

On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 9:44 PM, Dan Staples <
danstaples at opentechinstitute.org> wrote:

> I actually ordered a couple of the gl-inet devices a couple weeks ago,
> but the shipping from China said it would take up to a month. I'll
> definitely try it out as soon as I get it and report back!
>
> Are there any particular routers you're interested in trying out?
>
> On 09/17/2014 07:07 PM, fotis k. wrote:
> > Dan did you get a chance to try one of those? I’m about to order a
> > couple.
> >
> > I’m out of atheros-based equipment at the moment & looking at the
> > wiki for should-be-ok models.
> >
> > For everyone else who might be looking to test potential devices:
> >
> > For the tp-link clone that Dan discovered, eBay seller (
> > http://bit.ly/1mfTPG8 ), Amazon seller ( http://amzn.to/1mfU0S2 )
> >
> > There’s also a modded WR703N, 64 Ram / 16 Flash, offered by a guy
> > that hangs out @ OpenWRT forum ( http://ebay.to/1ua2UiK )
> >
> > -Foti
> >
> >> http://www.gl-inet.com/w/?page_id=308&lang=en
> >>
> >> It seems to be a clone of the TP-Link 703N, but with 8/16MB flash
> >>  storage, 64MB RAM, and *2* ethernet ports, not to mention USB.
> >>
> >> I'd really love to try it out with Commotion.
> >>
> >> -Dan

> --
> Dan Staples
>
> Open Technology Institute
> https://commotionwireless.net
> OpenPGP key: http://disman.tl/pgp.asc
> Fingerprint: 2480 095D 4B16 436F 35AB 7305 F670 74ED BD86 43A9

Ben West
me at benwest.name