[Commotion-discuss] Atheros-based pocket router w/ 8MB flash

Dan Staples danstaples at opentechinstitute.org
Fri Sep 19 08:06:24 EDT 2014

Yes, 8MB flash and 32MB RAM should be okay for external nodes (though
of course more is certainly better). For nodes that will have a lot of
access point clients, perhaps indoor nodes in your case, I would
recommend more RAM. We've seen that Ubiquiti Picostations (32MB RAM),
which is one of our primary development platforms, just can't handle a
whole lot of clients before falling down or just refusing new clients.
For external nodes, I've had good experiences with the Ubiquiti Rocket
M2/M5 due to 2x2 MIMO and 64MB RAM.

I like the TP-Link TL-WDR4300 for indoor routers. Ath9k, 8MB flash,
128MB RAM, gigabit switch, 2xUSB2.0, dual-band, 2x2/3x3 MIMO. I use
one for my home router, and even have Tor running on it without
performance issues. We'll be releasing Commotion images for it too
when 1.1 comes out (hopefully by the end of the month). There are also
some other similar TP-Link models with a bit less on the hardware specs.

Dan