[Commotion-discuss] powering ubiquiti devices with solar power

Marina Brown catskillmarina at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 18:40:22 EST 2015

On 03/07/2015 10:36 AM, Ben West wrote:

Thanks so much !!!

This looks perfect.

- -- Marina

> I had also done proof-of-concept research for cobbling together
> relatively inexpensive 24V solar rigs for UBNT nodes.  Danny Illand
> is definitely the guy to inquire with as well!
>
> Below is my own cost breakdown for just a single outdoor,
> rooftop-mounted mesh radio with 12V solar panel and battery.
> Please be advised none of this has actually been built and tested,
> so I don't know yet if these parts could be used together!  This
> was just a quick pass to see what a ~$500 budget could support
> (i.e. detail sufficient for a grant application).
>
> Do note that Tycon Power Systems makes self-contained 24V
> solar/battery
> <http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1EA0P18851>
> solutions for WiFi APs, but they're much more expensive.
>
> Ubiquiti Nanostation Loco M2 (runs on 24VDC / 0.167mA) - $50
> http://shop.bizsyscon.com/ubiquiti-nanostation-loco-m2-outdoor-mimo-2x2-802-11g-n/

60W 12V Monocrystalline Solar Panel - $100
> http://www.amazon.com/ALEKO%C2%AE-60W-60-Watt-Monocrystalline-Solar/dp/B007YT9222/

12V 12Ah sealed lead acid golf cart battery - $28
> http://www.batterymart.com/p-12v-12ah-sealed-lead-acid-battery.html

12/24V 5Amp PWM charge controller - $19
> http://www.renogy-store.com/5-amp-charge-controller-p/ctrl-pwm5.htm

11-15VDC to 24VDC DC/DC converter 3amp $24.50
> http://www.current-logic.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=9

DIY mounts made from cinderblocks, treated lumber, conduit, misc parts - $30

On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 3:15 PM, Marina Brown <catskillmarina at gmail.com>