[Commotion-discuss] QoS/packet reordering

Ben West ben at gowasabi.net
Tue Mar 31 10:17:29 EDT 2015

If it helps to focus research you may be doing on QoS methods, do note that
TCP/IP generally tries to avoid packet reordering, i.e. delivering a
particular stream's packets out of order.  Packet reordering is common in
ATM networks (as in Asynchronous Transfer Mode), but TCP/IP really can't
support it.

Rather, common QoS methods instead seek to maintain multiple queues for
multiple IP streams, whereby the packets for each stream remain in order,
but packets are popped off the end each queue per some priority metric.

On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 8:23 AM, Adam Longwill <adam.longwill at metamesh.org>
wrote:

> Over here at PittMesh we're trying to implement something we describe as
> "relative QoS" or "packet reordering" and we're not coming up with much.
>
> Basically, we want to ensure bandwidth donors don't attach to the mesh and
> then have all their bandwidth eaten up.
>
> We have introduced a 2 router system: We deploy one Rocket outside that
> broadcasts into the street and mesh it over ethernet to a wdr3600 inside
> that allows people to access PittMesh from their home/business. THAT
> WDR3600 is connected to the host's gateway.
>
> Ideally, the hosts use the WDR3600 as their primary router because then we
> can implement tools that should prefer Port 2-4 over port 1, the PittMesh
> port.
>
> The problem is, we haven't found a way to do this very well.
>
> We can implement port-based QoS-- but as far as we can tell we have to
> define a limit to the bandwidth-- which we don't necessarily KNOW.
>
> What we want to do is just give priority to packets on ports 2-3. Meaning,
> they get processed and moved first, regardless of any other factor. Port
> 1's packets have to wait until there is a break in the packets for ports
> 2-3.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas on how to implement this?
>
> Thanks

Ben West
http://gowasabi.net
ben at gowasabi.net