[Commotion-discuss] Raspberry pi issue (nmap, ping, gateway)

falanster.by falanster.by at gmail.com
Wed May 13 15:25:23 EDT 2015

Hello mesh guys,

Today i deployed etherpad application on several raspberry pi microservers.

*The case*
There were two nodes (tp-link wdr 4300) in the test mesh.
I plugged 4 raspberries into the first tp-link router (further node1 and
*ap1*).
I estate the second tp-link to gateway (further node2 and *ap2*).
Several people (5) connected into *ap1* and have good connection to the
Internet.

*Issue 1*

When i scanned the networks with a tool nmap from my laptop,
it didn't show me any raspberries in the result list (I wait for 5+
minutes...)
I've used command as
sudo nmap -sP xxx.xxx.xxx.1-254
and work on debian jessie.

I solved the issue by using advanced luci interface on *ap1* (or *ap2*).
or when I connected in some rasberry and scaned network it showed me in
the result list another rasberries.

Anyway, I'm confused a little bit. Have you got any ideas how to solve
the issue?

*Issue 2*

When I connected into node1 or into node2 I have Internet. It is ok.
But when i connected on one rasberry and wanted to, for example, update
repositories (apt-get update)
It showed me that the device is offline (ping didn't work too for
external IPs)

I will be thankful any you suggests or experience in the case.

Regards,
Mikhail Volchak