[Commotion-discuss] CW Firmware on a Ubiquiti Picostation M2HP

Ben West ben at gowasabi.net
Tue Apr 5 12:34:41 EDT 2016

Please be aware Ubiquity is gradually rolling out updates to their stock
firmware that will block flashing 3rd party firmware like Commotion
Wireless (and by extension OpenWRT and DD-WRT).  Right now such locks are
in place on new 5.8GHz gear (e.g. Nanostation M5's), and possibly they will
start appearing on 2.4GHz gear.  The reasons for these locks are quite
specious (in my opinion), and they were spurred by recent FCC decisions,
about which you can read here:
https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Save_WiFi/Individual_Comments

Current versions of OpenWRT and DD-WRT may be to work around such locks,
e.g. DD-WRT loading while OpenWRT does not, but Commotion Wireless itself
will lag behind the latest version of OpenWRT by some margin.

A common recommendation I've read to work-around such locks is to first
downgrade the stock AirOS firmware to an older version, e.g. v5.5.10, and
from there flash Commotion Wireless.

Again, do please note underlying issue is that the radio manufacturer
themselves are beginning to lock out anything but their own stock
firmware.  The extent to which such locks have been implemented appears to
vary from product to product (e.g. certain things are locked on new
Picostations which aren't locked on Nanostations or Rockets), but
downgrading the stock firmware and then flashing to 3rd party is a common
recommendation I've read.

Long term outlook, unfortunately, is that OpenWRT and DD-WRT eventually
will be barred entirely from all wifi products that operate on 5.8GHz band,
along with some 2.4GHz products too.  Generally, this is applies only to
the USA, but many device manufacturers are implementing the locks
universally, regardless of country where the device is sold.

Ben West
http://gowasabi.net
ben at gowasabi.net
314-246-9434