[Commotion-discuss] Help compiling for TL-WR1043N/ND v3

Nicolas North star at nikksno.io
Sun Aug 14 23:22:41 UTC 2016

Hi there!

I'm starting a mesh network project here in Milano, Italia, where I
live, and I already have 40 nodes up and running both outside and inside
peoples' houses, with both commotion and a pure openwrt + olsrd setup as
described on the Metamesh website. I intend to switch to a 100%
commotion network because of some potentially show stopping issues I'm
encountering on Tplink routers with Metamesh's setup [I'm doing
something wrong I'm sure - more details below].

I WOULD IMMENSELY APPRECIATE ANY HELP IN GETTING COMMOTION COMPILED FOR
THE TP-LINK TL-WR1043N/ND V3 AND IF POSSIBLE THE TP-LINK ARCHER C7 V2
[WHICH IS DUAL BAND AC SO I ONLY HAVE TWO OF THEM AS A TEST FOR NOW].

In the past I was able to compile openwrt on a linux
vm with a lot of trial and error but was never able to access the
command line config menu for the commotion compiler. I also ran into svn
tutorials for commotion but only ever found git repos. Also I don't know
the specs to compile for my speficic hardware, are those available on
the owrt toh? How can I avoid using the trunk version of openwrt if
there's no stable version listed for the WR1043N/ND v3? I have very
little experience with software compilation so
any help would be fantastic.

I've had a very lengthy back and forth conversation that started here on
the list and then went private with Josh and Ben and Adam over at
Metamesh who have all been extremely nice and helpful and I thank them
if the project is where it is today. But now I need your help in
ensuring this doesn't all just collapse in front of us because of these
issues. For the record, Metamesh is amazing, Adam, has been great, and
I'm sure their setup works, and I'm doing something wrong, but after
reading Josh's message about the future of commotion, I want all my
nodes on commotion for the future of the project.

ANY HELP IS OF VITAL IMPORTANTANCE FOR OUR PROJECT. ABOUT 100 PEOPLE ARE
 WAITING FOR THIS TO WORK EVERY DAY. PLEASE HELP. THANK YOU VERY MUCH IN
ADVANCE.

Nicolas