[Commotion-discuss] Best Strategy for Our project?

Georgia Bullen georgia at opentechinstitute.org
Thu May 5 03:48:34 EDT 2016

I'll let Josh, Nat or Chris confirm which build of Commotion, but Commotion
and Nodewatcher are actually compatible as of the end of last year. We've
been working with them through 2015 to make that possible!

-Georgia

On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 12:30 AM, Ben West <ben at gowasabi.net> wrote:

> Thank you Adam for sharing instructions for building mesh infrastructure
> off of stock OpenWRT.  It is unfortunately very difficult for the
> mesh-oriented derivatives of OpenWRT to gain staying power (Commotion
> Wireless by far not being the first such to become a tad stale).  So,
> staying close to stock OpenWRT has benefits.
>
> WasabiNet, for example, started out using ROBIN mesh firmware, based on
> OpenWRT Backfire, and many aspects of that obsolete firmware still linger
> on in ugly Frankenstein form.  Nowadays, I also basically compile off
> current OpenWRT trees, likely to the point of being interoperable with
> MetaMesh nodes.
>
> One key missing ingredient I'd like to point thread participants to is a
> control and monitoring dashboard.  CW didn't quite have the opportunity yet
> to deploy one, but I have been watching the progress of Nodewatcher from
> WLAN Slovenia pretty closely.  Indeed, I was able to compile its client on
> OpenWRT BB for testing.  I was very impressed with it, although I didn't
> get a chance to test drive its dashboard thoroughly.
>
> The precise firmware makeup used by different community mesh groups will
> vary (i.e. varying degrees of distance from stock OpenWRT), but the
> prospect of sharing a monitoring and dashboard solution could help focus
> energies, since all large meshes need that.  Nodewatcher looks robust and
> thorough enough to be useful to many parties.
>
> You can read more about Nodewatcher here:
> https://dev.wlan-si.net/wiki/Nodewatcher
>

> On Wed, May 4, 2016 at 3:56 PM, Marina Brown <catskillmarina at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 05/04/2016 02:53 PM, Adam Longwill wrote:
>> > Meta Mesh in Pittsburgh has begun developing a working system compatible
>> > with Commotion (we use OLSR that grew from using Commotion) running
>> > stock OpenWRT.
>> >
>> > You can find our instructions on our
>> > website: http://www.metamesh.org/#!how-to-configure-a-router/b7luv
>> >

>> > And we will be shipping pre-built indoor and outdoor routers using 2.4
>> > GHz as soon as we finish manufacturing the cases at www.metamesh.tech
>> > <http://www.metamesh.tech>.
>> >

>> Thanks a lot !
>>

>> -- Marina Brown
>>

>> > Feel free to join our IRC channel on Freenode at #PittMesh if you have
>> > any further questions.
>> >
>> > Adam
>> >
>> > On Wed, May 4, 2016 at 2:49 PM, <dpeel at vtlink.net
>> > <mailto:dpeel at vtlink.net>> wrote:
>> >
>> >     If we find we can't put Commotion on new versions of Ubiquiti
>> >     routers, what would be our best strategy? Is Commotion updating the
>> >     firmware to work on newer versions? How about Commotion for other
>> >     routers? Commotion on Raspberry Pie? We need suggestions as we are
>> >     going to quite a lot of effort to become a non-profit to provide
>> >     community supported mesh internet to our low income neighborhood. We
>> >     have had a pilot project for about a year using Ubiquiti routers.

> --
> [...]

Georgia Bullen
Director of Technology Projects
Open Technology Institute <http://newamerica.org/oti/> @ New America
<http://newamerica.org>
740 15th Street NW, Suite 900, Washington DC, 20005
@georgiamoon <http://twitter.com/georgiamoon>