[Commotion-discuss] Ad Hoc WiFi MESH networks

Paltasingh, S. s.paltasingh at student.tue.nl
Tue Mar 14 13:58:39 UTC 2017

Dear Sir,

My master's thesis project is: Secure Commissioning (Forming/Joining) In Ad Hoc WiFi MESH networks.

I read the documentation of commotion and this is what my understanding is:
1. Commotion software platform supports formation of Ad Hoc WiFi MESH network but confined to only routers.
2. In other words Commotion software platform  enables formation of Ad Hoc WiFi MESH network of routers.
3. Laptops (phones, tablets) will behave as legacy WiFi nodes and will connect to one of the commotion routers (in a star topology) which is having MESH connection with other commotion routers. The actual MESH is formed between the routers running the commotion software.

Is my understanding correct as per the documentation provided by commotion wireless project ??

If Yes, then is there any MESH security challenges that needs to be incorporated at the time of joining of a new router (running commotion firmware) to the existing MESH network. I can work on those security challenges and contribute to the commotion community as my master's thesis work is also related to finding solutions to those kind of security challenges.

Looking forward to your valuable comments and suggestions.

Thanks and Regards,
Sritam Paltasingh.