[CMI-CM] Another success!

cara saunders carasaunders at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 31 15:21:25 CDT 2000

Hello Critical Mass,

Thanks again for a great bike ride on Friday! What a very inspiring and
powerful experience. You have really demonstrated the power that a small
group of creative people can have.

You have chosen to use a healthy and fun mode of transportation that does
not pollute our air and water.  But in Champaign-Urbana, that is not very
unusual.  An extraordinary number of people here ride their bikes to and
from work, the library, for groceries, and wherever else. Bike riding is
very common. But you have taken this a step further—by taking your bikes to
the streets in a pack of riders you have become a force of leg power that
demands attention and commands applause!

Through rain showers and intense heat, amidst heavy traffic and honking,
Critical Mass has proven to the cities and its car-driving citizens that
there is a better way.  This bike riding movement can only be contagious as
people learn about rising air pollution, sprawling development and depleted
natural resources.  Welcome new riders and show them they have a place in
the biking community.  Soon the numbers will grow, and the strength of the
group will increase.

I am glad that I planted the seed for a bicycle movement in Champaign-Urbana
and I am proud to see that you have taken this idea to heart.

That was my last Critical Mass Ride in CU for a while.  I am moving to
Minneapolis and will continue my push for social and environmental change
while there. I’ll think of you all on the last Friday of every month about 5
in the afternoon, as I am about to bike home from work.

Carry on and have a great time! Thanks for helping this seed grow!

Bye,
Cara Saunders

p.s.  Ernie Miller and I will be having one last bash at our house on
Saturday August 5th.  Consider yourselves invited and most welcome! Please
join us for food, drinks and a good time! Come by 301 S. Lynn (corner of
Lynn and White), Champaign anytime Saturday afternoon or evening. Hope to
see you then!