[CMI-CM] World Car Free Day Reminder!

Paul Riismandel p-riism at uiuc.edu
Mon Sep 11 01:00:38 CDT 2000

Hey Critical Massers,

Just a reminder that World Car Free Day is coming up on Thurs. Sept.
21.  At the Aug. ride we decided to add an extra CM Ride on this day at the
usual time at the usual place (Alma Mater @ 5:00pm).

It would be great if we could be prepared for this ride with some posters,
bike flags and other things to make ourselves and our messages known to
spectators.  Also, posters and such put up before the ride are
effective!  Be creative and design and post your own (that's grassroots)!

There was some interest expressed in publicizing this world-wide event
locally.  Ideas on how to do this are welcome and EVERYONE is welcome to do
whatever you think might work.  There are some neat ideas for direct action
at the carbusters web site at
http://www.carbusters.ecn.cz/WCFD%20Action%20Ideas.htm

One of my favorites is:
A variation on the idea of invading and blocking a stretch of street with
tripods,
  for example, is to hold a party in the part of a street to which you have
a legal
claim. For example, you could hold a "parking meter party" where you pay the
parking meter for your hour of parking time, but instead hold a party in the
space - if a whole row of meters can be claimed you can have a huge party, and
potentially in the busiest areas of town.

Could you imagine taking up all the spaces on, say, Wright St or John St.
closest to the quad?

Please try to bring at least one friend to the next ride... the bigger the
mass, the more critical the message.

--Paul