[CMI-CM] bike paths...

David Young dyoung at onthejob.net
Sun Apr 29 23:59:01 CDT 2001

For what it's worth, here are a few bike paths in Urbana. You may
already know these:

1) On the west side of Race Street between Florida & Windsor Road.
2) South side of Windsor from Race to Philo and beyond.
3) Throughout Meadowbrook Park.
4) East side of Philo Road between Windsor and Florida---actualy ending
   a few blocks short of Florida.
5) You probably know this one belonging to the University: west side of
   Lincoln between Florida and Windsor.

If you ever find yourself "out Mahomet way," there is a great bike path
beginning behind the high school, meandering through a prairie, crossing
Route 47 into Lake of the Woods, and crossing the whole park. (You can
ride the path the other way, too, but you have to pay a steep import duty
for your bike and swear your allegiance to the high school wrestling team.
Mahomet is another country.)  I think the path was only 5mi long last time
I was on it, but there were plans to bring it out to the old train bridge
that crosses the Sangamon near where Route 150 & Route 47 intersect. Maybe
that extension is already finished.

Does anyone know if it's true that U.S. DOT makes matching grants for
recreational paths like Mahomet's? Urbana should take advantage if
it's true.

Dave

On Thu, Apr 26, 2001 at 05:04:48PM -0500, julia christina magrethe delcomyn wrote:
> I've never heard of this organization before, but I'm glad I did.  As I
> was riding my bike to campus from Urbana I was wondering why there are
> only bike paths on (some of) campus?  I find myself so tense after dodging
> traffic on Springfield Ave., and don't even get me started on Green St.
>
> It seems to me that effort would be better spent trying to raise
> awareness, and maybe even money, for a bike path on major streets.  A good
> example of this can be found in Madison WI.  Almost every street has a
> bike path on the side and they even have a wonderful paved path that runs
> diagnol through town, for such activities as biking, running, walking and
> rollerblading.
>
> Is there anything like this in the works for Urbana-Champaign?
>

> thank you,
> julia delcomyn

David Young                   On the Job Consulting
dyoung at onthejob.net     Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933