[CMI-CM] DI Today: Bike Lockers?

Paul Riismandel p-riism at uiuc.edu
Mon Aug 27 16:54:01 CDT 2001

 From today's DI
(http://www.dailyillini.com/aug01/aug27/opinions/stories/letter01.shtml):

Why not bike lockers?
I went for a bike ride last night through some of the neighborhoods in
downtown Urbana (where I currently live), and I re-realized something that
seems blatantly obvious to me. Campus should have bike lockers available
for rental. If you've never seen or heard of these things, they're pretty
self-explanatory. You get a lock and a locker, and when in use, you stuff
your bike in the locker to protect it from vandals, thieves and the elements.
There is supposedly a large amount of federal funding available for
projects involving cycling, and this falls under that umbrella. Other
universities, including the University of Minnesota and University of
Wisconsin-Madison, are doing it and have waiting lists for their locker
space. And with everyone and their mom whining about the parking situation
on campus (I include myself in this company), I don't see a good reason not
to do this.
Sean Willis
Urbana resident