[CMI-CM] (no subject)

John Schreiber schreiberbike at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 12 11:23:01 CST 2001

--- "Prince, John M (O&M)" <JMPrince at oandm.uiuc.edu>
wrote:
> The idea is that the Critical mass moves as a
> procession, as a mass, as one
> vehicle.

That may be the idea behind critical mass, but it's
not the law or expectations of other road users. I
certainly wouldn't support car drivers who chose to
group together and commute as a mass.

> My experience is that the lead bike has
> ALWAYS obeyed the signals
> and that the others have followed through whether
> the signal has allowed or
> not.  Traffic lights are not always timed to allow
> this, and the state
> vehicle code does allow that processions may follow
> the lead vehicle as long
> as they are clearly identified (I don't think this
> has been a problem with
> our local group).

I don't see any place in Illinois Compiled Statutes
which supports this, unless we are a funeral
procession. Please educate me if I'm wrong.

--

Thanks                 John Schreiber