[CMI-CM] Bicyclist Killed By Teen Downloading Ringtones

A.L. Ishii alishii at sbcglobal.net
Sat Dec 2 21:40:17 CST 2006

There are a couple of points about this case that need to be made:

(1) The most significant with respect to bicycling in Champaign
County is that it has been stated by the mother of Matt Wilhelm
during the sentencing (and the State's Attorney prosecutor, Julia
Rietz, did not deny) that

"Julia Rietz said it would be hard to prosecute 'willful and wanton'
(behavior) and the driver could have 'no reasonable expectation of a
bike on the side of the road,' yet every single time we visited the
accident site we saw bikers and joggers in the area. The driver took
this path to and from work and had to see others out there.
Disregarding the obvious is a total lack of responsibility."

(2)  Abominable drivers are being left free to drive on our
roads.  In the case of Jennifer Stark, please examine the Circuit
Court records http://www.cccircuitclerk.com/ under Public Access to
Court Records (choose Traffic Division) and consider:

Drivers are supposed to lose their license after 2 or 3 tickets,
depending on their age. By July 2006, Stark, age 19, had 3.  (Matt
was killed in September.) Her last one was for 25-30 miles over the
speed limit in Savoy, on Old Church, a road that many bicyclists
use.  I suppose that if any of us were killed there, Rietz would
excuse the driver because there is no reasonable expectation of
seeing a bicyclist on that road?

I believe that it is CRITICAL that ALL drivers, local and state
police, and the State's Attorney recognize that bicyclists are to be
expected on any legally allowed road in Champaign County.

It is not the particular case of Jennifer Stark that is frightening,
it is what her treatment represents--an apparently deeply entrenched
mindset that the open road is now strictly for those in cars, and
death to others is an unfortunate side effect of our American right
to drive however we please.