[CMI-CM] NOTE, IMPORTANT ITEM ! (Fwd: Join the National Bike Count!)

ChampaignCountyBikes.org Info at ChampaignCountyBikes.org
Thu Aug 27 21:11:40 CDT 2009

Champaign-Urbana bicyclists!*
THIS IS IMPORTANT!*

If you read the CCB email list because you care about bikes...
If you ride Critical Mass because you want people to know you ride...
If you wish there were recreational bike routes (eg. a Lincoln trail route
marked)...
if you live in town and want more bicycle infrastructure...
*you should help with the bike count!
*
*Champaign County Bikes believes this is VERY important!*

We must establish some data to show city and county officials how many of us
there really are out there riding our bikes every day!

We have to show them that every day is BIKE TO WORK DAY for so many of us.
We need to establish bike counts so that we can prove that adding
infrastructure will get more of our neighbors on bikes.
We need to make everyone aware that $750,000 over the next ten years is a
pitifully small sum for bike infrastructure (one leg of the intersection of
First and Windsor is receiving $1.3 million in upgrades).

Now is the chance to count but we need YOUR HELP!
With proper training (collecting viable data is more complex than you may
think) we will be able to conduct accurate counts that the planners can use
to make Champaign-Urbana-Savoy a more livable community for EVERYONE!

PLEASE note the dates and times and do your best to support this effort.

Thank you!
Rick Langlois
Chairman, ChampaignCountyBikes
217-898-2587

*-= Please Read On =-
*

*One of the greatest challenges facing the bicycle and pedestrian field is
the lack of documentation on usage and demand. Without accurate and
consistent demand and usage figures, it is difficult to measure the positive
benefits of investments in these modes, especially when compared to the
other transportation modes such as the private automobile.  *National Bike
Bicycle and Pedestrian Documentation Project to be found at:
http://bikepeddocumentation.org/